Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Bubbies Take on Battling the Bullies

From the DearBubbie on Facebook files:

DearBubbie,
How does a child deal with bullies on and/or off the school grounds? Does getting parents involved make the situation worse? Have you or you child ever been the victim of a bully?

Janet
Bullies have always been around. When I was young, they were the name calling,, shoving, face shoved in the snow kind of bully, and we had to take care of it ourselves. To do otherwise would have made the bullies come down on you much harder. Today's bullies are much more violent, and it scares me. As a parent, you can't talk to the kid, or you ... See Morecould be in trouble. Speaking with the parents is oftentimes equally useless, as the parents are where the kids learned the behavior and think what their child is doing is perfectly normal, or the parents are in denial about their 'little angel'.

Maureen
Let Me start with this statement..I am not a fan of MIDDLE school! It is the toughest three years in a child's life!Yes my children have been bullied. They have all reacted differently to the situations, because they are three different kids.The worst episode was when a child wore a white T-shirt under his school uniform so that none of the teachers could see what was going on. He had a sharpie with him and was asking other kids to sign his "I HATE MOLLY" shirt and to give a reason why! Nice kid.Well late in the day someone did notice it or overheard the chatter and one of Molly's true friends told her about it.Long and short of it the principle pulled everyone into his office who had signed the shirt. The school called me. I went down to pick her up but she did not want to go home until she had a chance to face her bully.The principle allowed her to sit in on the explanation of the said shirt and also allowed her to speak her mind to the bully.It was a very difficult situation for her but she did not back down and that made me be one PROUD mother!!

Chris
You Go Molly! She takes after her Mama!!

Jen
I like Molly! Sounds like a pretty cool cucumber!


Jan
What an awesome girl Molly is!

Chris
I remember back when I was grammar school age and a neighbor kid my age was bullying my brother who is 4 years younger than me Well back then, I must have already had the "biker chic" in me because I told him I would kick his ass if he didn't leave my brother alone!I only had one girl in high school try to give me some bully grief... I remember her name. It was Marina. I didn't back down and she eventually left me alone. She also had to face me a few years later when my Aunt married her older brother and we were at the bridal shower. She hid her face the whole time! I seemed to get along with almost everyone growing up. I know I was one of the lucky ones. I used to hate seeing anyone get picked on!Kids can be very mean. Especially girls! They can so cruel with choice of words, where boys tend to get more physical.... Teach your kids to be open with you. It could be very difficult to go home and tell a parent you are getting bullied if that parent is a hot head.

Mike
I think kids have to be taught how to stand up for themselves. If you don't show that you can hit back, the child will always be picked on. You can't always depend on adult supervision.

DearBubbie
I think that was a Brady Bunch episode, wasn't it? Thanks, Michael.

Lance
As a former victim of bullies and a former teacher (six years) I've seen my share of bullying. Remember, bullying is one person seeking power over another. Intimidation is just one way of doing this. Children will also talk about someone to other (indirect approach) that weakens the victim and makes them an easier target. Bullying isn't always physical, but it's the easiest to see.With all due respect to Mike, violence isn't the answer. Defending yourself is one thing, but you don't need a fist to do that. Then how do you defend yourself? It depends on the age of the child, really. If a K-2 child retaliates against a bully physically, and you praise them, you're sending a message that promotes fists over words. Take ALL bullying reports seriously, call the principal, not the teacher. The teacher will respond to the principal faster than a parent. Teachers are hard working people that do more in a day than almost any other profession AND track their kids educational and emotional progress. They can't always pick up the phone or call you back THAT day. But the principal can put that issue at the top of the teacher's list. Sit down with school support people (guidance counselors and such) and talk about the scenario. Make a plan.The best plan that I would come up with in my class is that if a child feels bullied or threatened at ANY TIME, walk to me wherever I am and tap me in the arm THREE TIMES. That was my cue. The child would go to the restroom and I would go to my desk. They would come out in a minute and I would wait for them to come to me and tell me what happened. All of this is done in private. If the child was seriously distressed, I sent them to the office with a bully note that took him/her to a principal or the guidance counselor. They had a meeting and, from there, a conference was called with that child. YOU MUST CONFRONT A BULLY! Most bullies won't carry out a threat, but you can't hope they won't. Through a meeting, a bully will often, not always, back down or, at least think twice. Also, most bullies have multiple vicitms; if a principal sees a bully more than once, more immediate action is taken. Most schools have a bullying response framework; read it!... If the bullying continues to where a child can't operate safely, then a move is made either to another room or, in rare cases, another school. Schools are working very hard to deal with bullying and I STRONGLY encourage parents and caregivers to use the tools schools have. If you feel your child's concerns are being ignored, document what HAS happened and the response of the school. Then, call a lawyer, the superintendent, or, if it's a middle or high school student, the police. Be proactive; never ignore a call for help. If you do, the child will take action that is most often, very damaging to the child and other children.

David
I never really had a problem of being picked-on by Bullies myself, I was always a scrapper and never ran away from from a Bully. I learned at a very young age to stand-up, or be picked on. I had a friend in Middle School that was always being Bullied, his lunch money was always taken by this Bully. I just happened to be there one day when it happened again, big mistake! I not only made this Bully give my friend his money back, but I shoved him in a locker and locked him in it. And told this Bully that if I ever heard of him bothering another person again, that I would be hunting him down and give him the ass whipping of his life. When I was in the 1st grade, I witnessed this woman beat my mother severely as we were walking to the store. She was never a scrapper or said anything bad about anyone. This woman wanted my dad and was told no, so she thought if she beat her bad enough she would let him go. I've hated Bullies ever since.

Jan
Excellent response Lance!

David
Yes Lance, excellent comment.

Lance
Thanks Jan and David. Always make an effort to keep fists out of the outcome. Often, a bully, like any abused person, was once abused themselves. It doesn't make it appropriate, but the chain of abuse must be broken.

January
My daughter had a bully in the 4th grade (3yrs ago) it was the day before Christmas break, The kid (a boy) comes up to her and says "I'm getting a gun for Christmas, and when I get older, I'm going to hunt you down and kill you". She didn't want to say anything to me, but 2 of her friends told me (I was at school that day for an event) as soon as... See More I found out, I asked the girls to tell the teacher, since they heard him. This kid only picked on her. He was taken to thew principal, and he cried like a girl!!!!About a month later, my daughter's teacher called me to let me know that the kids mother asking her for our number. The teacher told her she could not do that. The mother then told the teacher, please tell them that we are "Christians" and we don't teach our son things like that. He has never done anything like that. Shortly after this, the kid moved!It took my daughter a long time to get over that, she was always looking around. : (


Denise
My son was getting picked on at the bus stop. He was only in second grade. My husband, who was picked on every day in school enrolled him in karate the next week. His karate school is great. They teach "bully moves." My son also knows it is not acceptable to use his karate for anything other than self defense. It is ment to remove the other person from him and then to seek help from an adult. It has also given a lot of confidence not to mention balance. He is getting his Jr Black Belt this saturday!


DearBubbie
David - I loved your response. You are a lot like my husband. Denise - I think martial arts - with the right instructor - is such a good thing for boys and girl. ANd for sure, I'd think it would be a bully deterrent. Lance - I had a feeling you would have a great answer. Thank you so much. Part of this question however is - what if it happens OFF CAMPUS? January - I'm so sorry for your daughter. Imagine celebrities who get these kinds of threats. . .I'm glad the parents followed through.

Chris
I am going to give you an extreme case of bullying that I need to leave very vague as it happened to one of my former employees. And sometimes, I am sure some of you may think, what does she know about kids or teens? She doesn't have any of her own! But as a side note. As a business owner for 9 years I had many youngsters work for me, as well as many at The Bath & Racquet Club. Many of those 15 yr olds and up counted on me to be there for them as a mentor. I considered all of them to be "my family."I had one tell me the story of going out one night against the wishes of her parents. Well, she was date raped and threatened. The fellow HS student threatened to kill her family if she told anyone. She was afraid to admit to being out in the first place and blamed herself for the incident.I understood her having the fear of telling her parents as I had very strict parents and I got the brunt of that strictness as the oldest child. My only point here to make is to please make sure your child knows that it is always safe to come to you with a problem or a mistake that they have made. That yes, there may be some consequences, but that you will love them no matter what. This particular young lady did have great parents! And she eventually told her Father. School is a very tough place. Make sure the children in your life tell you about their day... every day! Even as an employer, I asked questions daily of my staff. If you know that child well, you will know quickly that something is not right with them.

Chris
Oh and January, my heart goes out to your daughter. That was a terrible burden for her I am sure for a very long time. And Lance, great answers!! You sound like a wonderful mentor!


January
Thank you Chris.

Kelly
I can't say that I ever remember being bullied as a child/adolescent. My daughter has had a few girls pick on her recently, mostly about her hair, which is naturally curly and insanely thick and sometimes difficult to work with. I am trying to teach her to defend herself using words, and to let these girls know that she likes herself just the way she is. I also remind her of how beautiful I think she is and that many adults are jealous of her hair. I told her, too, that these girls are most likely jealous of her and her hair and pick on her as a way to make themselves feel better. I hope it is working, and I check with her to see how she is doing. If she feels physically threatened, she knows to go to a responsible adult and let them know. It is unbelievable how mean kids can be, even at this young age.

Tatiana
I have a LOT to offer here, but I am packing to go back to Miami.....my oldest son (25) was the victim of bullies all his life because he has not only Asperger's Syndrome, but is also Schizophrenic....we put him in Martial Arts (which he loved) but that didn't help him be more assertive. As he grew up and my 2nd husband and I encouraged him to ... See Moredefend himself, he slowly became more aware of things and more confident. One day he asks my ex-husband to "quickly, hurry-up and give him" our dog and her leash at the time (he never walked the dog or anything...lol) - so, naturally, we wondered why he wanted to hurry up and walk the dog? We looked out the window and saw him run up the hill in front of my house just to catch up with this kid who bullied him since he was little, Kevin Taylor, and grab him and beat him up!!!! He was 12 or 13. Now - I am NOT an advocate of violence AT ALL - but I must admit that I was happy that after all those years of people picking on my son, he defended himself, and that was the end of everything! Word got around the neighborhood, and NO ONE has messed with my son SINCE!!!!!

Tatiana
AS for Maureen...she is RIGHT! Middle School are the toughest years for a child. It's that awkward stage when they are growing up but are not quite adults yet. 7th grade in particular is rough. I am saying all of this because I used to be a teacher (Special Ed) years ago and I did also work in 2 different middle schools throughout my career.

Michelle Jo
As a teacher, i would much rather know about the bullying from the child (or parent) than from the principal! when parents circumvent communication with the teacher, it creates a disconnect. i ask myself, why didn't the parent feel as if i could take care of the situation? i am a strong, loving teacher and do not tolerate bullying. i admit that i don't catch everything- but at least give the teacher a heads up. when i know about it, I (the adult closest to the offender) can intervene. i give victims the power to confront bullies and require restitution of some sort from bullies. WORK WITH THE TEACHER, PLEASE! (This is assuming the teacher is a good teacher!)

Lance
Michelle, surely as a teacher you want to know ASAP. However, as you know, a teacher's day is terribly busy and we can't always pick up the phone. I want to know about this ASAP. A principal will get my attention immediately. The teacher is THE CENTER of the bullying team and s/he will dictate what happens in the classroom and is the first line of defense. It was ABSOLUTELY not my intention to suggest a teacher's role in this is below a principal OR a guidance counselor and I very sorry if that was the preception I gave. When all three work with parents and the child, progress is made and a solution will most likely be found.Michelle, I applaud you as a caring and involved teacher.

DearBubbie
Yeah, I agree, Lance. Michelle - they need to make more teachers like you. I hope Rebecca Prozzo also comments since she's a teacher.

DearBubbie
Here's my Bubbiehubbie's Bully Story. . happened in Norfolk, Va - the 1970's. They decided to segregate a black high school. My husband didn't have RED hair - it was bright RED/ORANGE. While all the white kids looked alike, John stood out like Ronald McDonald. What he remembers is that the black kids didn't like the white kids coming to their school. One of the questions they other students would demand was: "Give me your lunch money." Girls and boys would get beat up if they said: No. There were security guards on campus, but they'd just break up the fights. There were no repercussions except for a trip to the principle's office. My husband said he learned how to fight because of this and lesson one: Survive the first punch.Once there was a mentally challenged kid that was surrounded by five students. John went to his defense. He recalls it like it was yesterday:"This isn't right," my husband told the kids."Get outta here, this ain't none of your business.""If I leave, he's coming with me."The next thing my husband knew, he was upside down, getting beat up, getting a bloody nose and the mentally challenged kid was nowhere around. However John said the kid had the wherewithal to get a security guard. A few days later, the same group yelled out: "There's the guy who helped the retarded kid!"And he got beat up again.The same thing happened when John saw his buddy surrounded by about 4 - 5 kids. He quickly gathered two more guys and they fought for their friend. But again, because of John's RED hair, they would remember him and point him out for yet another fight.He said this continued from 7th - 12th grade. I asked my husband if this affected him in any way. He replied: "I never did very well in school."John's Mom was going to pull him out of that school. I wonder what would have happened if she had.This was only thirty years ago. Times have changed, thankfully.

DearBubbie
Geez - sorry for the typos. You can't scroll back to see what you've written for pete's sake!

Chris
It is FB spelling Bubbie... it doesn't count!

DearBubbie
From an anonymous Bubbie: "Your husband sounds like a good man. Not sure if my experience was actual bullying, but definitely intimidation. There was a particular gal, the ruler of many, that for whatever reason began to focus on me. I was one of the reasons that I came to love my humanites teacher so much. Once a straight A student, I dropped to an F in her class my last semester of my senior year because more often than not, I wouldn't go to her class. I had her right after lunch and this girl and her followers would hang out at my locker waiting for me to show up. Never one for confrontation, I would avoid. But this teacher knew something was up for me and while my grade held as an F, she didn't turn me in for skipping (it was that year that they started the absentee benchmark - if you missed X number of classes you would automatically fail). I went out to my car after school during that time to find my tires flattened, but you can't assume..........." This anonymous Bubbie is one of the sweetest people I've come to know - I'm so sorry she had to go through this. . .HOWEVER, as we talked about in the topic 'revenge' - the girl who caused our Bubbie so much grief did indeed get hers. But that's another story for another day. Thank you, anonymous Bubbie. ♥

Chris
Like I said... girls can be so cruel. I hope Karma worked itself out for her bully. Go to bed Bubbie! Me too... Goodnight!


Michael
The best ways to deal with bullies you ask? (Or maybe you didn’t): 1. Train and become proficient in Mixed Martial Arts and vow never to practice on a human outside the ring. 2. Do not elevate a situation with words. 3. Walk away. 4. Run away. 5. If caught by the bully (or his/her friends)… disregard number one above and destroy the aggressor (FYI, with good training, that should take one to two shots and less than 5 seconds before the ground game begins). BTW. In my experience… bullies rarely have good fighting skills.

DearBubbie
Thank you, Michael - great post.

No comments:

Post a Comment