Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Journey in Trying

When my friend was keeping a secret 'under her hat' from me (Her best friend! Her Bubbie!), I have to admit - I was hurt. No, she doesn't have to tell me everything, but what was going on that she felt she couldn't tell me?

Turns out she went to an International Nanny Headhunting Agency and was being considered for a temporary position. "I didn't want you to be disappointed or get too excited if things didn't work out," she explained.

What she didn't understand is that I am such a fan of people who even attempt things outside their comfort zone. It takes courage to go out for a new sport, audition for a role in a play or interview for a job. The end result isn't what matters - but what we gain from the journey along the way.

Throughout my many attempts, I had seen myself as a failure. When my music career ended without fame, fortune or fanfare - it took years and years to realize that my record got airplay on radio stations across the country. How many people can say that? My years of trying to make it in the music biz, resulted in a manuscript entitled: "WLAQ/Q-102, May I Help You?". That resulted in me feeling like a failure when I got rejection letter after rejection letter from literary agents. That is until one started with: "Dear Author". Author? Me? That's when I discovered that at least I had finished a manuscript and had something to present to them - awful as it was/is.

I had started a dog lover's club in Atlanta, but as it expanded into The USA Loves Dogs Club, it became too much for me. I published The Doggone Good Times, did national bulk mail, had an '800' number and was driving myself into debt. I ended up selling the whole doggone thing to "Good Dog Magazine" for something like $200.00. The thing is - our club did a lot of good and people enjoyed the outings with their dogs.

My whole life has been about working hard, paying dues and going for it. Interesting that I wasn't rewarded with the desired end result, but always with something much better. I've never felt so alive when I was reaching for what turned out to be unattainable goals.

When fate handed me the opportunity to go it alone with picture framing, I found a freedom in really getting to know my customers one-on-one. I wasn't raking in the money, which was an objective, but I was making a connection with people. They sit at the design table, sipping coffee or water, and we talk. I decided to fix up one lonely customer, who I totally adored. Within months - he married the woman I introduced him to - and DearBubbie became a side business.

Will Bubbie succeed? Who knows? But what I've learned through all my 'tries', it that it's been an exhilarating ride. I've learned not to get my hopes up, but just take a chance or two as I step outside the comfort zone into yet another chapter.

We all only have one life to live.

So whether it's asking a certain somebody out on a date or starting over in a new career - it's a victory to just not be sitting on the sidelines. As for my friend who is awaiting word from the Nanny Agency.. .she's already a winner and Bubbie is very proud of her.

Have a question for DearBubbie? Become a DearBubbie Fan on Facebook or write to: dearbubbie@yahoo.com.

5 comments:

  1. it is a victory to get up off the sidelines and get back in the game...nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's not the destination ~ it's the journey" ... so very true. And the journey sure makes for interesting reading, doesn't it? ;-)

    I love hearing about your "failures", which aren't failures at all...they become the stepping stones on which you go from one aspect of life to the next. I too have had many careers, some more successful than the others. I know that each one prepares better for the next. As it so goes with relationships too.

    Great post.

    Love you Bubbs,

    ~Kar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bubbie! Just kidding, I thought I was writing to Abby--grin!

    Interesting blog, interesting life, interesting Bubbie. And it is fun to read your success stories of "living life on life's terms". My first visit, and I'll be Bach (musical joke--punchline.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Bubbie. A wonderful reminder of what is important and i will think of it the next time someone asks me, 'Are you making any money off of that stuff you do?" and i feel bad for "wasting my time when I could be doing something more important."

    Flash 55 - Favors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Bubbie...
    My wife thinks shes a cow.
    I'd take her to the Dr. but we need the milk!
    Whats a boy to do?

    Please play a You Tube of your record. I'd LOVE to hear it...PLEASE?????

    ReplyDelete