Saturday, November 14, 2009

Menopausal Behaviors Disrupt Loving Home

Got a problem that you'd like some input on? Write to dearbubbie@yahoo.com

Dear Bubbie,

This stinks. I've been married to a great man for over 20 years - and I feel I'm getting away with behavior that is unacceptable! I am taking his love for granted, no doubt.

I've been going through menopause and my moods have been extreme. When I'm down, I actually get on the verge of tears. Sometimes little things - really minor things - work me into a tizzy.

I apologize to my husband, who is very understanding, but he shouldn't have to put up with my unpredictability. There is no justification for my explosions - no rhyme or reason - but at the time, I just meltdown.

I love my husband. He deserves better. What can I do?

Sandra

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sandra,

You and I have had several e-mail exchanges and you expressed to me that while you're "short on patience" in some cases, you're still nice to everyone else. It's your husband that is getting the brunt of your 'releases'.

Exercise: Visualize that you and your husband are on the same football team - same shirts. (Pick a team color! Fuchsia!) No matter how irritated you feel towards him (in the same manner a running end may be annoyed at his quarterback), you two MUST support each other.

It's a good thing, Sandra, that you recognize you're taking your mood swings out on the one who you can 'get away with' being not nice to. And, I'm glad you don't have self-hate yourself for this behavior or blame him. Some of it is controllable, but it is wacky hormones as well.

Since we know I'm NOT a doctor, I'd like for you to Google Menopause Mood Swings. What you are looking for is an easy-to-read article that explains that your mood swings are indeed physiological and driven by hormones. Print it out, draw hearts on it (I'm big on personalization!), and ask your husband to read it. Thank him for being a supportive teammate throughout this stage of your life.

There are also support groups online that may offer great suggestions. (Always use your common sense.)

You also mentioned that you are having difficulty sleeping for more than three hours a night. Why don't you want to see a doctor? You can listen to what he/she has to say, but you're not forced to act upon it. I know there can be doom and gloom associated with visits, but just keep the information that they have been educated with and keep that in your back pocket.

There are numerous books to buy online or at the bookstore or even at the library. Some women tout Suzanne Somers; but Bubbie says: Do what you feel comfortable doing. Follow YOUR gut.

Finally, I suggest you also research natural ways - from foods to herbs - that can alleviate anything from the mood swings to hot flashes. Go to your local health food store and research online. Talk to any other friends who are going through this time of life.

Instead of tackling your teammate and taking him down with you - go off by yourself for a walk or exercise and get it out of your system that way. We live in modern times and there's no need for you or your husband to suffer through this. Best to you, my dear Sandra. (By the way, you sound like a wonderful wife. Don't beat yourself up.)

Love,
Bubbie

5 comments:

  1. It is so nice you to feel for your hubby.

    When I went off of the pill I began having horrible hormone related mood swings and other symptoms each month. I have been "secluding" myself each month when the depression and fear and sadness get really bad. Not the best solution but I have kept looking for a solution for about 10 years now. I have tried everything from exercise (which does help a little) to doctor prescribed medication (which is like being under water all of the time.) I am now menopausal, too. It has taken a long time and much trial and error but I have found that an over the counter product called Estroven seems to be helping. I have used it for a little over 2 months and I feel a leveling out without the brain fog you get from pharmaceuticals.

    http://estroven.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so appreciated, Nessa. Thank you so much for being the caring (and ever so talented) soul that you are. When I post answers, you're in my head and I'm hoping you can add to the solution. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also been taking Estroven for years now and I swear it works! Most of my friends have tried it too and say the hot flashes have stopped. I found it's cheapest at Costco. Just like any herbal remedy, it takes a number of weeks before you get results, but well worth it!

    I have something for you Bubbie over at my blog. Have a great weekend! Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your advice was spot on. What a wonderful site this is! Don't we all need a little help occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bubbie ~ I love hearts ... in all shapes and forms. What a great suggestion for Sandra. I am also big on visuals and use them as cues to remind myself of what's important. I've gotten away from that myself as of late...so happy to be here to get a subtle kick in the proverbial ass to start doing it again!

    As for the mood swings ~ boy-oh-boy do I have them too. I haven't tried Estroven, but might want to check it out. I'm on another medication my doc put me on years ago that seems to do the trick for me. I'd like to go natural though if I can.

    I also track my cycle ~ I pretty much can tell when I'm going to have the nastiest of swings and try to stay out of everyone's way...including my own!

    Great advice, as always, Bubbie.

    ~Kar

    ReplyDelete